Be a Part of InvestComics’ “Deadly Tales: One and Done” Charitable Anthology
Support a good comic creator cause while having some bloody good fun!
InvestComics is proud to launch “Deadly Tales: One and Done!” – a unique short-graphic tale anthology with 100% of sales proceeds going to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund. We need talented, good-hearted creators to make it happen … and get some great exposure and potentially win some cool prizes. Intrigued? Read on …
About the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund:
InvestComics will be donating 100% of the proceeds to the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund (CBLDF). CBLDF is a non-profit organization dedicated to the protection of the First Amendment rights of the comics art form and its community of retailers, creators, publishers, librarians and readers. The CBLDF provides legal referrals, representation, advice, assistance and education in furtherance of these goals.
We are working with a printer with a web storefront so individuals can purchase the book online. After the anthology is published, with each sale, we will donate all proceeds to CBLDF (minus printer expenses).
Here’s the premise:
· Create a one-page black-and-white comic story
· Story must have three common elements:
o Limited to one page
o Have mortality or death as a central theme
o Someone bites the dust in the last panel (either shown or implied)
· Story may be any fiction genre: horror, super hero, fantasy, comedy, etc.
· No profanity, racist remarks, or pornographic elements
· No using real people – fiction, fiction, fiction!
· Story cannot exceed one page and must be clearly legible with no typos
· Story title and credits must appear on page (preferably in first panel)
Here are the rules:
· Email your completed story by August 14, 2011 to email@example.com
· All entries must be complete and meet anthology specs (don’t send us “concepts” to see if we like them – only finished one-page tales will be judged)
· Up to 100 stories will be selected
· If selected, you will receive a waiver whereby you keep the story rights but you grant InvestComics first print rights to your story in electronic and print format for perpuity (that’s forever, folks!). In short, we are the first to publish your work, and we can print it for as long as desired in support of the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund.
· THERE IS NO PAYMENT … but the anthology will be published, we will do our best to promote the hell out of it, and you will be doing your part to help protect creator First Amendment rights.
· Because we will be including up to 100 stories in the book, we cannot provide complimentary copies (which could total as many as 300 books mailed out to every writer, artist and letterist selected – no can do!).
· However, we will be giving away great collectible gifts to random “winners” from the creator teams which will donated from local businesses such as Tate Comics – recognized by the Will Eisner Spirit Awards as one of the best retail comic stores in the world!
· We also will be interviewing several of the contributors to appear on ICTV.
Here are the specs:
· TIFF file, 300 DPI
· Trim size – 6.75 inches x 10.25 inches; Full bleed size – 7 inches x 10.5 inches
Note: Final art must be submitted as FULL BLEED SIZE
· Name your file by story name (for example: OneAndDone.tif)
· Email your file to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Deadly Tales Submission” in the subject line; and wait for us to contact you if selected
We will be approaching a handful of industry legends as well as “up-and-coming” indie creators to submit, so if your story is selected you will not only be supporting a wonderful cause, you will be in great company which will be sure to provide maximum exposure. Plus you could win some cool collectible prizes and appear on ICTV.
So come on – show us your best, briefest work for Deadly Tales. We dare you to scare us … and join us in helping to protect our rights for freedom of speech and uninhibited artistic expression.