War of Supermen #1 comes out this week with artist Jamal Igle and Jamal stops by InvestComics 10 For the Pros!
10 For The Pros
Starting at the tender age of 17, Jamal Yaseem Igle has worked his way up the ranks from Intern at D.C.Comics to his successful penciling career. Over the years Jamal has been editor, art director and animation storyboard artist.
Jamal is the Co-creator of the comic book series “VENTURE” along with writer Jay Faerber, published by Image comics. Jamal’s detailed pencils have graced books as varied as The Narrative of the life of Frederick Douglas, the all ages action miniseries “Race Against Time” as well as mainstream hits such as G.I.Joe, Green Lantern, Iron Fist/Wolverine: the return of Kun Lun, Iron Man (Marvel), Wonder Woman: Our Worlds at War and Martian Manhunter #36, Supergirl #71 , Noble Causes and a four issue run on New Warriors for Marvel. In addition Jamal is an active volunteer with the Museum of Comic and Cartoon art, a guest lecturer on the subject of comics and animation, as well as a teacher at the Art Students League of New York.
Jamal’s latest work includes the DC Supergirl title as well as the #1 issue of War of Supermen. His latest Suergirl cover is pictured to the right. Supergirl #53.
1. What comic (character) would you love to have total creativity control over? And why?
(JI) Nightwing: I love the character and have some ideas as to make him a more powerful presence.
2. If you could have 1 superpower, what would it be?
(JI) Superspeed because it really is the all purpose power: You can wear down objects until they collapse and run across any surface if you’re fast enough.
3. Do you have a routine that you follow before or during work?
(JI) Email, correspondence and phone calls. Message boards during my breaks.
4. Who is your favorite creator to work with?
(JI) As a writer: Sterling Gates. As an Inker: Jon Sibal And John Dell.
5. In your opinion, do you feel that the movie industry is doing a good job with the Comic Book movies?
(JI) For the most part, I understand that changes need to be made to make the films for a wide audience. I don’t always agree with them.
6. What comic book hero/villain do you want to see on screen?
(JI) Darkseid and the New Gods.
7. “If I wasn’t in the comic book industry, I would be working….”?
(JI) In either a restaurant or in theater.
8. What advice could you give a creator trying to break into the industry?
(JI) Be patient and listen to the advice people give you.
(JI) My wife, Karine.
10. Have anything you’d like to plug?
(JI) War of Supermen#1 and Supergirl.
Who were your influences breaking into the Industry?
(JI) Dave Stevens, Steve Rude, Brian Bolland, Kevin MaGuire.
Digital or Paper?
(JI) Paper all the way!
Thanks Jamal! Be sure to check out War of Supermen #1 & Supergirl!!