10 For The Pros
Jeff Balke – Colorist/Artist
Name: Jeff Balke
Date of Birth: July, 31 1979
Recently, I’ve created something called Sketch Coloring. This is where I take a sketch cover of any comic book and color right on the actual cover with special markers. This is my way of creating a sketch. Since most colorists really don’t sketch “traditionally” (like Jim Lee, Micah Gunnell and so on…) I wanted to come up with my own way to give something to the fans so they can take home and have a “one of a kind”. Sketch Colorings do just that. No two Sketch Colorings are alike (even if I color the same cover 100 times for 100 people).
1. What comic (character) would you love to have total creativity control over? And why?
(JB) Green Lantern. He’s just awesome.
2. If you could have 1 superpower, what would it be?
(JB) To become any character.
3. Do you have a routine that you follow before or during work?
4. Who is your favorite creator to work with?
5. In your opinion, do you feel that the movie industry is doing a good job with the Comic Book movies?
6. What comic book hero/villain do you want to see on screen?
(JB) Red Lantern.
7. “If I wasn’t in the comic book industry, I would be working….”?
(JB) Working retail…yuk!!
8. What advice could you give a creator trying to break into the industry?
(JB) Keep going.
9. “My Best investment in life was……”
10. Have anything you’d like to plug?
(JB) Foot Soldiers Graphic Novel coming out this summer!
Who were your influences breaking into the Industry?
(JB) Mike Turner, Peter Steigerwald.
Digital or Paper?